January 29, 2015: The Lexington PoliceDepartment is warning customers to be aware of scam artists posing as employees from SCE&G. Chief Green says the scammer, who identifies himself as John Baker, is calling small businesses and telling them that they’re late on their bill. The individual then requests that customers purchase a reloadable payment card (pre-paid Visa or MasterCard) from a local convenience store and then call back with the card’s information for immediate bill payment..
Important tips to keep in mind:
- When SCE&G employees call concerning an unpaid bill, they identify themselves. If customers are unsure of the caller’s identity, that identity can be verified by calling Customer Service at 1-800-251-7234.
- SCE&G does not askcustomers to purchase payment cards from local convenience or drug stores for bill payment purposes. Bill payments are accepted at SCE&G business offices, by mail, authorized payment agencies, online or through SCE&G’s phone payment provider, BillMatrix, by calling 1-800-450-9160.
- SCE&G field employees are identified by their blue SCE&G uniforms, a white company ID badge with a photo and marked SCE&G truck.
- If someone arrives unannounced or does not have company identification and introduces themselves as an SCE&G employee, the company recommends calling Customer Service at 1-800-251-7234 for verification or dialing 911 if they feel threatened.
- Keep your family and your personal information safe. Do not give in to high pressure tactics over the phone for financial information or in person to gain access into your home.
If you have any information about the scam, please contact the Lexington Police Department at 803-359-6260 or Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIMESC.